Monday, January 9, 2012

Grades

I've spent a lot of time thinking about "grades" as I "graded" 130 personal Declarations of Independence.  I thought I would take a moment to reflect upon grades and what I've learned about them.  For me, grades are simply one of a number of tools used to provide feedback.

As a teacher, I am familiar with grades as a form of feedback.  Grades give students an indication of where they stand.  Grades are a concrete placeholder based on predetermined grading scale.  However, whether grades motivate students to do better or learn more is something with which I struggle.   I know some students are motivated by "grades" but is it for the right reasons?  I wonder sometimes if grades are more an indication of behavior than learning.  It seems the most well-behaved kids are getting the higher grades.  When grades are given it is often the end of learning.  I am realistic to know that my students need grades to prove their learning to parents, colleges, etc. Getting rid of grades isn't possible, but looking at how, what, and when I grade would be a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment