Tuesday, March 6, 2012

APPR vs. Technology

Technology is pervading education.  SMARTBoards, projectors, elmos, flip video cameras, iPods and iPads are commonplace in many classrooms! I am being asked to integrate technology and often feel like I'm being thrown to the wolves!  What exactly does it mean to integrate technology?  Does the fact that my students are using pencils every day count as integrating technology?  I feel tremendous pressure to not only integrate technology but also make sure students "use" technology and even learn technology in my Social Studies classroom.  But what does that mean?  If a I ask students to put a document under the Elmo, is that student "using" technology and learning how to use the Elmo? 

I use technology everyday, but getting my students to use it daily seems to be difficult for me. I wish I could allow my students to communicate using technology, whether it be on facebook or through their smartphones.  However, students can't use phones or access facebook during the school day.  I assign an assignment here or there requiring students the internet for information.  I teach the students how to search appropriately.   However, I haven't a clue what the difference between web 1 and web 2.0.   I also learned a while ago that devoting class time to work on a "technology" project  is not the best use time.  It seems as though too many problems are encountered and students squander the time. 

With the pressures of APPR, where does technology integration fit into the equation?  How is technology integration going to be measured?  Is it even an issue anymore in light of APPR?  I feel as if APPR and technology integration are in conflict. 

I am interesting in your thoughts......do you have any?????

No comments:

Post a Comment