Thursday, September 8, 2011

Week One

     My professional development plan for the 2011-2012 calls for me to reflect each week on my teaching via a blog.  I am committed to this endeavor as well as to trying something new in my classroom each week. 
     The first week of school is always crazy--  learning names, going over procedures, schedule changes, etc. etc.  This year is no different than any other year.  Despite the chaos I did try something new.  Over the summer I reread a book by Harry Wong etitled The First Days of School.  I had read it years ago when I first began teaching and decided to revisit it this summer.  It is based on the premise that what you do as a teacher on the first days of school will determine success or failure for the rest of the school year.  It is an easy read and I got as much out of it the second time around as I did the first.  Many of the things mentioned in the book I already do.  However, one little thing caught my attention.  It is in a chapter devoted to how to have students follow classroom procedures.  Do your students seem to take forever to pass their papers in?  When they turn papers in do they punch each other in the back as the papers are passed forward?   The book says that students should pass their papers across rows, not up rows.  Wong says there are a number of problems with passing papers up to the front of the room--  you can't see what is happening behind each students back as you stand in the front of the front of the room and some students tap, poke, shove, as well as hit the back of the student in front to get their attention.  He suggests that issues are eliminated when students pass papers across rows.    Well, I tried it and would you believe it does seem to be a better use of time and much less disruptive?  The difference is noticeable and the procedure much easier to manage.  Thank you Harry Wong!

No comments:

Post a Comment