Friday, September 16, 2011

Week Two

Wow!  I can't believe how exhausted I am after the first full week.  Working after 10 weeks off is definitely a shocker to the system.  Nonetheless, this was a great week!  We have finished all the team-building as well as class-building activities and are definitely bonded.  :)  Although my classes are bigger than ever, the kids are better than ever.  I couldn't be happier. 

This week, I tried something new.  I wrote student names on popsicle sticks.  I now pull a stick to call on on a student to answer a question or respond to a comment.   It seems like the same kids are always raising their hands and it is often difficult to avoid calling on them.  The popsicle stick method is working quite well and has definitely made a difference on the focus of students--  for fear of their stick being pulled.  Also, more kids are now involved in the classroom.  Of course, I do fudge it every now and again.  For example, when I ask a question and pull the stick of a student I know won't be able to answer, I often will call on someone else and simply pretend that was the name pulled.   

No comments:

Post a Comment