Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Prezi




Recently, I've been playing with an online presentation tool called Prezi.  It is similar in notion to Powerpoint but there are several benefits to a Prezi over a Powerpoint.  First of all, the “movement” between Prezi frames is more captivating to an audience and make for an interesting presentation.  Prezi has a big visual impact as the transitions are animated.  Second, video clips are embedded into a Prezi.  To show a video clip from youtube in Powerpoint, you actually leave the powerpoint.  Finally, the ability to save a Prezi online is nice.  You don’t have to worry about “losing it.  




Despite the significant advantages to Prezi over Powerpoint, there are also several drawbacks.  First of all, if you can’t access the internet for some reason you are out of luck with your Prezi.  Second, the presentation template can get a little confusing.  Everything is on one screen--  there are arrows going every which way, pictures, words, clips, etc.  It can be a little visually overwhelming to work on.  Finally, in my opinion, the biggest drawback to Prezi is that it takes a significant amount of time to learn and master.  It is not as user friendly as Powerpoint.  It took me several hours to create my simple Prezi. 
I’m not sure I would take the time to have students create a Prezi.  The Prezi learning curve is significant and it would require a great deal of time in the computer lab.  The periods at JDMS are only 35 minutes and it would take several class periods just to learn how to use the Prezi tool.  



However, I’m certain I will create Prezis in the future.  My students seemed to enjoy the Prezi I made on the Underground Railroad.  It was new and novel to them which kept their attention.  It was also a nice change to Powerpoint.  Nonetheless, I think the novelty would wear off quickly and students would get bored if I use Prezi all the time.  Just like in with food, moderation is key. :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment