Monday, April 23, 2012

Technology Integration


Technology Thoughts…
Over the last several months, I have learned that when it comes to technology I don’t know very much!....and there is much I haven’t tried!  I also have one thing I didn’t have before--   an increased curiosity in technology for the classroom.  Because of the NGNOW course I took through the teaching center, I now want to learn how to do things with technology, and I’m willing to try, even if I don’t know how.  I also want to continue to learn more about how other teachers are integrating technology as well as keep up with technological news and trends.  I actually like learning in general a great deal.
I have learned that good teachers who integrate technology seek out opportunities to learn.  It doesn’t do to wait for other teachers to come up with their own ideas for using technology, although my colleagues do come up with some pretty great ideas!  I believe schools need to support teachers and students to understand the importance and relevance of using technology.  Technology will never replace teachers; however, teachers who know how to use technology effectively to help the students connect, collaborate, and think critically will replace those who don’t.  Technology is not a fad but an important part of how students learn and work, and students as well as teachers need to be able to learn how to use it effectively!
It is critical for teachers to be active participants in a variety of networks, including Twitter, Facebook, communities, and professional organizations like ISTE.  Teachers need to be active online.   Furthermore, it is important for teachers to regularly reflect and think out loud about technology integration.
I have never been what I would call a tech savvy teacher.  I feel a little bit tech savvy now but I do need to be willing to continue to teach myself things!  I need to have a willingness to try out new technological tools.  The NGNOW course awakened a technological curiosity within me that I am certain will endure.
Prior to the technology course, I was not passionate about the possibilities of technology in education.  I wasn’t willing to seek out opportunities to learn about technology and use it in my classroom.  Passion tends to tie everything together.   It is perhaps the most important quality for any teacher for that matter.  I need to thank NGNOW for awakening a passion within me!

No comments:

Post a Comment